View cart “Schroter, J. S. – 026” has been added to your cart.
Knorr, Georg Wolfgang – 029
SKU: knorrfolio-029 Category: Sea Life
- Description: De Natuurlyke Historie der Versteeningen, of Uitvoerige Afbeelding en Beschryving van de Versteende Zaaken
- Author: Georg Wolfgang Knorr & Johann Ernst Immanuel Walch
- Date: 1733
- Condition of Plate: Excellent. There is a very light crease in the upper right corner.
- Condition of Work: Excellent
- Paper Size: 10 3/4″ by 17 1/4″
- Image Size: NA
Georg Wolfgang Knorr’s De Natuurlyke Historie der Versteeningen
These folio sea life engravings, featuring original hand-coloring, are from Georg Wolfgang Knorr & Johann Ernst Immanuel Walch’s work De Natuurlyke Historie der Versteeningen, of Uitvoerige Afbeelding en Beschryving van de Versteende Zaaken… The work was published in 1773 in Amsterdam by Jan Christiaan Sepp. This work was noted to be one of the best illustrated and most complete works on fossils. Knorr worked on the four-volume folio set until his death in 1761. Johann Walch continued and finished the work for publishing. Knorr was a noted proto-geologist, art dealer, painter, and engraver. Knorr developed his skill for copper-plate engravings working for Leonhard Blanc & Martin Tyroff. Knorr’s interest in natural history quickly placed him among a talented group of artists and scientists in Nuremberg, including the reknowned Christoph Jakob Trew.
|Dimensions||10.75 × 17.5 in|