Mitchell, S. Augustus – 072
SKU: mitchell-072 Category: Maps
- Description: Atlas Universel de Geographie Ancienne et Moderne
- Author: S. Augustus Mitchell
- Date: 1852
- Condition of Plate: Very Good. There is a very small, light smudge mark near the left edge of the image area.
- Condition of Work: Very Good. This work is in very good condition but shows some moderate toning in the margins. As a result, the paper may be weakened and lead to some minor shipping of the edges.
- Paper Size: 17″ by 13 3/4″
- Image Size: NA
S. Augustus Mitchell’s New Universal Atlas
These fine, hand-colored lithographs are from the work entitled A New Universal Atlas Containing Maps of the various Empires, Kingdoms, States and Republics of the World. With a special map of each of the United States, Plans of Cities & c. by S. Augustus Mitchell. Mitchell and his sons were well-known for their maps in the nineteenth century, becoming one of the first actual successful cartographers in this country. They first published this atlas in 1846 after attaining the rights Tanner’s New Universal Atlas. After publishing several editions, they sold the copyright to Cowperthwait & Co. of Philadelphia in 1850, who published it until 1856, when they sold it to Charles de Silver. This 1852 edition has a couple of historic accents, including the the first time the Gold Region of California noted on the United States map, and the first recognition of the counties on the California state map. They are on woven paper that measures ~ 17″ by 13 3/4″.
|Dimensions||13.75 × 17 in|