View cart “Schroter, J. S. – 026” has been added to your cart.
Perry, George – 37
SKU: perry-37 Category: Sea Life
- Work: Conchology or the Natural History of Shells…
- Description: Genuses Terebellum & Cymbium
- Date: 1811
- Condition of Plate: Overall excellent
- Condition of Work: Overall excellent
- Paper Size: 11.0″ by 16.5″
- Image Size: 9.0″ by 12.5″
The only work on shells produced with aquatint engraving, giving the plates rich tonal variation and texture. Perry reorganized the genus and species of shells and invented new nomenclature that was not immediately accepted. The fine colors and bold arrangements of the shells on the sheet present one of the most beautiful works on shells ever produced. The work was based on the studies of not only Linnaeus, Bruguiere, and Lamarck, but also introduced dozens of the newest discoveries of shell specimens from the South Seas. This landmark work is one of the monumental conchologies of all time.
|Dimensions||11 × 16.5 in|